What is CBD?
CBD is derived from the Hemp plant, which differs from the Cannabis plant. Hemp has significantly lower levels of THC, which is the mind altering substance that causes the “high” feeling of marijuana.
Most over the counter CBD products do not contain enough THC to be traceable within the body, with the exception of Delta-8. CBD acts to counteract the psychoactive affects of THC; therefore, the average over-the-counter CBD product should not cause a “high”. So what is the benefit of CBD?
- CBD provides a calming effect that helps people fall asleep and stay asleep.
- CBD works with the endocannabinoid system to reduce inflammation, which in turn helps regulate the body.
- CBD helps alleviate pain, both chronic and acute.
- CBD reduces blood pressure, which protects against heart disease.
- CBD interacts with the brain receptors that have a direct effect on neurotransmitters such as serotonin; therefore it helps boost mood and improve depression.
- CBD works in the amygdala, which is responsible for fear response; therefore, it also helps with symptoms of post-traumatic stress.
- CBD can also improve appetite and memory.
CBD is one of those products that is best used over time as it needs to build up in the system. If you decide to use it, it is recommended to try it for at least a week before deciding if it works for you or not. I take CBD daily, sometimes multiple times a day. It has improved my sleep, eliminated my nightmares, and relaxes my anxiety. I highly recommend it, and I believe in it’s therapeutic benefits. Feel free to ask for brand recommendations!